Saturday, November 3, 2007

New Experiences

We try new things almost every day. Today there were two events to remember. Russell has been doing homework and studying for his exit exam, so we went to Grandpa & Grandma's house. Grandma thought we'd go to the craft sale at Hope Mennonite Church, but turns out it's NEXT Saturday. Guess we'll have to wait a week for bierocks and other German treats.


Since the craft fair was a bust, we went with Grandma to Wal-Mart to get groceries. Not an exciting adventure, but something to get us out of the house. Besides, the torture of going to Wal-Mart (especially on a Saturday) is lessened if you go with someone else. We got to try samples of cookies, Flinstone gummy vitamins, coffee, chocolates, and Highland yogurt. We also saw quite a few people we know, mostly from church. Charles was good and on the way out the door Grandma thought he needed a ride on "Pumba" the warthog from the Lion King. He was somber during the ride. Not afraid or scared but also not excited about it. See for yourself:





After a long day of studying, it was time for dinner. It was too late to cook and I didn't feel like eating leftovers, so we went out to grab a late dinner. We decided on burgers at Spangles (I know, they're obnoxious) since they have a value meal for $2.99 (are they out of their mind?!?!) We did something we never do and ate at the restaurant rather than running through the drive through. We figured we could get unlimited refills that way!!!! Charles ate 1/2 of a kids burger and shared my fries.

Russell showed Charles the 2nd new thing of the day---ketchup! He LOVED it. He sucked it off the fries. He didn't just double dip he triple and quadruple dipped! After sucking off the ketchup a few times he'd take a bite of the french fry. Charles liked dunking the meat, bun, and anything else in the little paper cup of ketchup. Guess we now have a trick to make him eat things.

I've been trying to teach Charles "baby sign." I got a book quite a while ago and tried to start using the signs, but he wasn't interested. A week or so ago he finally caught on to the word "more." We've adapted it to clapping, but he knows what it means and what he wants. Maybe he's opinionated? Surely not...

Last night during our weekly trip to Bernie's for pizza he caught on to the sign for "please," rubbing your hand in a circle on his chest. Now he can do "more please" which is a quick slap of the hands and a pat on the chest. He's in quite a hurry to get more to eat, especially that dessert pizza! Pretty funny, but also helpful.

So far he can't do "drink" which is tipping your hand to your mouth like you're taking a drink from an imaginary cup. "Milk" is gesturing like you're milking a cow. I think he's figured that one out and uses to get any kind of drink. I've got to learn the signs, consistently use them while I'm talking, and pay attention to him to see if he's getting it or adapting things. I also need to teach the signs to Russell, Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Christy, and anyone else who's around and babysitting. It'll be nice if he can ask for things and not just scream when he wants something. He does this now and he's LOUD.

More discoveries...I mentioned my son's bare closet in a previous post. Today I got out the box of hand-me-downs and tried on the 3T shirts. Surprisingly, they fit pretty well. Not grossly huge in the shoulders and the sleeves really don't need to be rolled up much more than the 2Ts do. The pants on the other hand are about 6 inches too long so we left them in the box. Guess he's got his daddy's LONG arms. I'm not sure about the short legs. Both Russ & I are short wasted with long legs. Maybe long shirts just don't hamper him as much as pants that are too long. Who knows...

The clock falls back tonight and we're hoping that doesn't mean our little man will be up at 6:30 am. We didn't get him to bed until 8:45 and he only had one nap, but somehow I have a feeling that won't make a difference. He's been crying periodically several times during the night for about a week. He puts himself back to sleep without either of us having to go get him, so that's good, but it means we have interrupted sleep. Russ can fall back to sleep, sometimes I do too and sometimes I just toss and turn.

No comments: