Wednesday, November 7, 2007

All by Myself

Charles has been doing things by and for himself. Yesterday he was given a fork to use for the first time. He jabbed the hot dogs and got them in his mouth. I heard cousin Jackson has been feeding himself yogurt (and refuses any help) so I thought I'd let Charles try eating it on his own. He did pretty well with the spoon, but DID make a rather large mess of himself and his jammies.





Did I mention he likes ketchup? We met Grandma for lunch and ran an errand to Target. On our way home I picked up McDonald's. For those of you condemning me for the Points values in McDonald's food, I'll have you know we shared and All American Meal (hamburger, small fries, and a small drink--I got the Diet Dr. Pepper and didn't share that with him). He loved dipping his french fries, fingers, hamburger, and bun in the ketchup. Not quite as big of a mess as the morning's yogurt incident (even with the mess we were still the 1st ones to arrive at Bible Study...now there's a feat!).



It's been quite frigid in the morning, this AM it was 38 degrees. Thankfully I'm a sale shopper so I've already got a winter coat for Charles stuck in the closet. The Gap at the mall closest to our house went out of business last Spring. They had everything on sale so I was able to get a nice coat that otherwise I would never have purchased. It's a navy, wool pea coat. I know I'm biased, but he was adorable! I'm disappointed because I also got a hat to match on clearance last spring at Old Navy, a navy hounds tooth "newsboy" hat with Velcro straps under the chin. It's 12-24 month size, but it's too small. It won't even fit on his head. Now I've got to find something else. He HATES anything on his head so it will be a challenge to find something that keeps his ears covered. The coat doesn't have a hood and is dry clean only. Maybe not the most practical purchase but it's warm and adorable.


He tried on his Christmas outfit (can you believe that it will be time to wear it 2 weeks from Sunday?!?!) and it fits too. Russell hates sweater vests, but he's a boy and that's about all there is out there for "dressy" outfits. The pants are a little long but will last through the winter. Funny given he's got a pair of jeans the same brand and size. They are the perfect length.

We've been homebodies with the cooler weather and our recent bout of ear infection. It's going around, we're not the only ones to have it. We need to start walking again with Carissa and Elena. We haven't seen Merrill either since her sibling should be arriving any time. Merrill's Mom, Kirsten (Merrill's name for me is Charles' mommy), is more than ready for this addition to arrive. I guess we're on the list as go-to friends when they're headed for the hospital. We're anxious to meet "Baby Hickey." I've been praying it's a boy so Charles will have at least one other little boy to play with. They're not the only ones I ask God to give a little boy, we're hoping one of Russ' college friends have a boy.




Russell has a weekend packed with studying. His exit exam is Saturday, November 17th. He is tested over two subject matters (he took two classes over each subject). He doesn't feel ready but has been dedicated to studying and creating the 4-page cheat sheet he's allowed to take with him. Please keep him in your prayers. He also has an exam the following Monday so that makes it an even more stressful weekend. I just keep asking the Lord to tell him, "great and unsearchable things he does not know." I know it's a verse, in Jeremiah I think. Once that's done he'll only have a few more weeks of class, then a nice break until after MLK Day in January. In Spring he'll have one class and an independent study. If he doesn't pass the exit exam he'll retake it in Spring and he'll register for a class in a subject he can be tested over. I have faith he'll pass the test next week and won't have to worry about it in Spring.



The dogs are barking at walkers and Charles should be up from his nap. Bye for now.

No comments: