Thursday, November 1, 2007

50% Off

This morning Charles and I got up and going without dilly dallying. We stopped by the mailbox and the gas station (how does gas jump 16 cents over night?) and then headed to Super Target. All kinds of ladies had the same idea--getting Halloween goodies 1/2 price. We found several costumes and threw them in the cart to evaluate. We decided on the Elmo costume--it's sort of a vest with a hood (a hoodie without the long sleeves). Hopefully the 3T will fit next year.

We found holiday tissues (Puffs not Kleenex) marked down 50% as well as a doormat. The doormat is not holiday themed, so I was surprised it was marked down. It may end up going back to the door since it's too tall to put in front of the door to the garage. We'll just have to see. I used control and passed on the napkins and paper towels that were 1/2 price. I've got coupons for my favorite paper towels. I also left all the candy and the cake mixes on the shelves.

Target had little boys' long sleeved T's on clearance so we picked up one of those. I bought Charles one last week when they were on sale and it's a perfect fit. It's crazy because I got him a sweatshirt in the same size (24 months) and it's too short. I don't get this sizing thing. Just when you think you've got it figured out you find a new brand or the kid has a growth spurt!

Charles doesn't have much in the way of shirts, lots of pants but only about 5 shirts, three of those are more dressy for church. Now that it's colder I'm realizing how bare his closet is. It's hard to find stuff for him. Shirts aren't too bad in size 24 months or 2T, although I got him a sweatshirt in 24 months and it's too short. I debated about the 2T, but it was about the same size. Pants are more of a challenge when it comes to sizing. The chart at Target has him in 3T for his weight ( 28 1/2 lbs) , but anything bigger than "18-24 months" size drags on the floor or needs to be rolled up several times. Funny considering how tall he is compared to other kids. He's got his 15 month check-up in 2 weeks so we'll find out how his height and weight stack up to the average kid.

After Target we went to Wal-Mart. Cousin Carissa said that's where they got Elena's bee costume which at full price was as much as the Elmo marked down 50%. There were slim pickins at Wally World. They had TONS of "Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin" themed fruit snacks. Guess that wasn't a popular item.

Aunt Heather called and had arrived just as we were getting in the car to leave Wal-Mart. She is headed to NYC to visit her best friend and maid of honor. We are the airport taxi service so we picked her up at Grandpa & Grandma's. Bubba, the dog (I can't remember the breed name, but it's like Eddie on Frazier), is staying with Grandpa and Grandma while Heather is in NYC. Can't Uncle Brian take care of his own dog, you ask? He left early this morning for Washington DC to a medical conference where he represents his medical school's class. So, Grandpa & Grandma agreed to dog-sit. Bubba is a well-behaved, sweet, and a cuddler so it won't be any trouble.

After getting Heather to the airport we stopped by the other, regular, Target. I figured it's on the way home so might as well stop and see what they've got on sale. We found the bargain of the century...okay, not the century but a good one. They had 2 lb boxes of Peppridge Farm Goldfish on the Halloween clearance rack. The box had pumpkins on it so the price was slashed from $5.99 to $2.99. I picked up every box they had, except the one that was sort of coming open. I think it was 8 or 9 boxes. I kept one for our cupboard and dropped the rest off at church for the nursery. In the older rooms they eat Goldfish every Sunday during snack time. Bargain shopping for Jesus! I love it!!! Is that a spiritual gift? If so, I think it's mine--much to Russell's dismay! Not really, he's very generous himself, he just controls his spending a little better.

Charles is napping and this basement is an icebox, so I'm going to head upstairs to do...something. Nap, perhaps? Check to see if dinner is thawing? Fold laundry? Who knows.

No comments: