Yesterday was a rainy Monday, which makes me think of the Carpenter's tune "Rainy days and Mondays always get me down...." Needless to say, today I had cabin fever. Not that I wanted to go anywhere yesterday but the fact that I couldn't makes me feel trapped. I was supposed to go to MOPS but decided I just wasn't up for it. I'm thinking of dropping out...but that's another story.
So, I took my time getting us ready and then ran a few errands. First the bank. Then the gas station. I couldn't believe my eyes. Gas for $2.93! Russell has been dreaming of gas under $3.00, but I never thought the day would come. Now he's hoping it'll drop below $2.50. I didn't think we'd ever see prices under $3.00 but now that we have, I won't say his hope of below $2.50 is impossible.
After about being blown away at the pump...this is a literal statement, whoever dubbed Chicago the "Windy City" hadn't visited Wichita, KS...we went to Target. I enjoy just walking around the store. I see all kinds of things and it gets me out of the house, but I don't feel like I have to buy anything, although I usually do!
Charles was not excited about leaving the house so I did what any good mom would do upon arrival to Target...bribery. As soon as we walked in the store we headed for the snack bar. I used to wonder why they had one, but now I know. I got a combo with a medium drink and a small popcorn. I'd say it was $1.59 that was well spent! We refilled the cup at least 3 times and his poor diaper was soaked by the time we got home. So much so that it leaked through to his pants. Oops, I thought he'd just spilled something in the cart and then sat in it! I also had a back-up plan. Candy corn in a Ziploc bag I'd tossed in the diaper bag. It worked, better than the popcorn.
That's not to say Charles was a perfect angel. I was looking for more burp cloths and he saw something on the aisle he wanted. At first I just walked away and let him cry. Then, I realized what he was after and that I could use it in my mommy arsenal, so we returned to the aisle and I asked him what it was he wanted. What was it? Thomas the Train underwear. Is he a Thomas fan? No, only occasionally do we watch it on PBS. It's only aired on Sunday mornings just before we leave for church. But, if he's asking for underwear, I'm going to comply. He held that package throughout the rest of the shopping trip AND tried to open it with his teeth. He needed diapers. I remembered that Russell mentioned getting some less absorbent ones so he feels wet. I got the Target brand ones that we'd tried in the past as a means to save a few pennies but found didn't work very well. Maybe potty training isn't too far off after-all. I've given up recently because Micah was too demanding of my time and Charles threw a fit every time we mentioned going to the bathroom. He's learning to dress himself, so that should help things along too. We're headed to Texas at the end of the month so I'm waiting to try any intense training until after the long car ride!
We got a few groceries, then a refill. Walked through the children's clothing and down one aisle in the baby section. Then Micah started crying. By then it was 11:30. A whole hour had disappeared! We returned to the snack bar looking for warm water to make a bottle. I couldn't find any so we got a refill and purchased a cinnamon and sugar pretzel. I told Charles he could have a snack while I fed Micah. I decided that the $2.50 or so I spent on a pretzel was less than what formula would cost and I didn't know how I'd push a cart and hold a bottle at the same time, so I figured we'd sit in the snack bar and all of us would get something to eat. I put Charles in a high chair so he couldn't escape. I couldn't chase him should he run away while I was nursing Micah! To my delight he didn't throw a fit about the high chair. He at some more popcorn and pretzel and was in a good mood. He and Micah were done about the same time which I couldn't believe.
We looked at a few more things and then it happened...the Diet Pepsi hit me. Too many refills! We all clamored into the family restroom and that's when I noticed Charles' wet pants. He'd been saying that he was wet, but I thought he'd spilled on himself. I wasn't the only one who'd had too much Diet Pepsi! I quickly changed him and because people were knocking on the door I did one of those diaper changes where the kid is standing up. It worked and I didn't have to fight a battle with an over sized toddler on the plastic changing table.
Then, it was time to go. 12:30 by now. Time flies when you're having fun!
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment