So, you may be wondering what's been going on since the beginning of September. Well...let's see what I can remember. I live on little sleep these days so things tend to get fuzzy!
On Sunday, September 21 we had Micah's baby dedication. Russ' parents and brother came Saturday morning and were here for the service. It was a quick trip but they were able to be here for the dedication. The guys put in a new storm door in our kitchen. They started late Saturday afternoon and didn't get finished until midnight. Things did not go as planned and a trip to Lowe's was required midway through the project.
The dedication went well, Micah didn't cry or fuss and he let Pastor Ken hold him during the prayer. I think it's better to do this when they're little, an older baby has more chance of being upset. We left Charles in the nursery because we couldn't predict how he would act if we brought him up on stage.
You may be wondering about baby dedication. Here's what our pastor wrote about dedication:
It is because of Biblical instruction that I have come to establish four
basic aspects of a time of child dedication.
- It is a time of thanksgiving, a time of publicly proclaiming one's gratitude
as a parent to God for the gift of their child.- It is a time of public dedication of you as parents to the task of raising
your child in agreement with Biblical principles, which are actually God's
desires for you child. The greatest is that he/she come to a "knowledge
of the truth" (1 Tim. 2:4) to the point of a personal relationship of faith in
Jesus Christ. It is our understanding that a time of child dedication is not the time a child is saved.- It is a time of public dedication of your child to God. You acknowledge before God that you choose not to selfishly grasp your child's life and abilities for merely their, or your, pleasure and benefit. Rather you want to hold your children with open hands before god, so that He may use their lives in ways He would desire and which would bring glory to Him.
- It is a public statement to the assembled church congregation that you, as a
parent desire the prayers and support of this church family in fulfilling your
parental responsibilities.
Before we could participate in the dedication we had to develop a Parenting Road map, which outlines how we envision Micah at age 18. Quite intense, but since we already had one for Charles we made some changes and wrote one for Micah.
The next week was a hectic one. Carissa's birthday was Tuesday so we met her and the kids at Target for a leisurely shopping excursion. Charles and Elena walked through the store holding hands and did pretty well, most of the time. We looked at Halloween costumes and got drinks from the snack bar. Afterwards we went through the McDonald's drive-through and came back to our house for a birthday lunch.
The entire week Charles was under the weather. He ran a fever Monday afternoon. Tuesday he did well with our birthday celebration, but just wasn't himself. After his nap he was definitely sick. Tuesday night was miserable. Once Micah was asleep I heard Charles cry off and on. Finally he erupted into tears. Russell brought him to our bed but we wanted ME to take him downstairs. We had a drink and a snack and watched TV in the rocking chair. Finally I got him back upstairs and in bed with us. He fell asleep but then Micah was awake and ready to eat. Once Micah was done eating and back to sleep I crawled back into bed. Charles had since migrated to our floor!
All in all I think I got between 30 minutes and an hour of sleep that night. Charles was awake when Russ got out of the shower, sometime after 5 am and Micah was up too. Russell called in sick and helped me during the day. I got a little nap, but we had to take Charles to the doctor and I had a 6 week check-up with Dr. Craddock. I knew that if I didn't keep my appointment I wouldn't be able to get in to see her until the end of October or the beginning of November...Micah would be 3 months old by then! The doctor couldn't find anything wrong with Charles. We put him down for a nap and his fever broke. He spent the rest of the week recovering and didn't go to "school," something I'd hoped he would be up for so I could get some make-up sleep.
The next weekend the Walls, Robbins, Mom & Dad, Christy, and our family got together for a German dinner. Christy & Carissa made verenika, Aunt Lola made zwiebach, and Mom made green bean soup and provided homemade strawberry and raspberry jelly. YUM! Charles and Elena played together and did really well sharing. They've come a long way in the last year. I got Charles a sit-n-spin at a garage sale earlier in the week and brought it for them to enjoy. It was difficult to take turns, but they only had one or two disagreements. Charles got to teach Elena how to spin. They loved it!
Now it's October. I can't believe it! Charles had school pictures last Thursday and refused to sit for them...he broke into tears. Russ was home on Friday and was able to go with me to the make-up session at 9:00 that morning. We got a few shots, but nothing fabulous. Thursday while Charles was at school Micah and I went to the doctor for an annual check-up. It's so crazy, the doctor knows I'm healthy but in order to get my insurance to pay for blood work I have to waste both my time and his with an office visit. All I have done annually is fasting blood work to check a vast array of things.
The joys of being 30+ and having a gene pool full of high cholesterol, diabetes, and the like! Everything came back in the normal range so I'm good for another year. I also got a tetanus shot. They now include whooping cough in that vaccine and it's been making a comeback in recent years. They wanted to give me the vaccine in the hospital, but I chose to wait...they'd charge an arm and a leg at the hospital and this way I've got record of it in my file at the place that provides my primary care.
This weekend was Tabor homecoming. I had a 10 year reunion but decided it's too much trouble to take two little ones 50 miles for about 30 minutes talking with people I haven't kept in touch with. My brother was home and my aunts and uncles were here too. Uncle LeRoy & Aunt Norma celebrated a reunion too...50 years! It was also the school's centennial celebration. I heard that attendance was low and that the football game was like old times, they were obliterated. So, I guess I didn't miss too much.
This is a busy week for us. Tuesday we have MOPS. Wednesday is the weekly women's Bible study, Thursday while Charles is at school Micah has his two month well-child check which includes his first round of immunizations. Friday is Russ' day to work and that evening Mom & Dad leave for 2 weeks in Oregon. I'm so jealous. We had such a great time when we were there in April. I don't know when we'll ever get back.
No comments:
Post a Comment