Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I love fruit!

Charles loves fruit. Maybe too much so. We have to hold off on it until "dessert" time or keep it out of sight so he will eat the other things on his plate. He doesn't know when to quit, so if we don't want too much fiber in his diet (we have to change his diapers) we have to monitor his fruit intake.

Grapes are the fruit of choice, but now that it's summer I'm trying to incorporate some new things into his fruit repertoire besides bananas, oranges, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, strawberries, and blueberries. It's sort of difficult in the Midwest where none of the fruit is fresh...most is shipped in and is either overripe or very green. Plus it tends to be VERY expensive. At our local Aldi grocery store I'm able to get some fruits at reasonable prices, it just depends on what they've got in stock, it's a discount store so you have to take what they've got the day you're shopping.

I highly recommend Aldi if you've got one in your area. It's a German company that has expanded to the US and some other countries. It's WAY cheaper than other stores...even Wal-Mart! There is a 25 cent deposit on the shopping carts which you get back when you return them to the cart rack (there are never any carts left in the parking lot). You have to pay cash, use debit card, or pay with government issued payment (food stamps, Vision card, etc.). They don't provide bags, so you have to bring your own or buy them at the check out. Of course you can always confiscate empty boxes from around the store! I like to take Russ with me when I shop (which doesn't happen very often) because he's good at sacking the groceries because of his experience working at a grocery store! Oh...and help entertaining Charles is always a plus too! Here's their website, in case you're interested http://www.aldi.com/


But, I digress...last week I got some peaches, nectarines, and plums when I was shopping at Aldi (Charles likes prunes so figured plums would be a hit). After they finally ripened up, he gobbled them down. Yesterday at lunch he had a juicy plum. Juice ran down his chin and arm into his lap and on his shirt. He didn't try to eat the pit, which was good.



I tried to find the song "I love fruit" from Sesame Street but couldn't find it on You Tube. I think of it often when he's gobbling down his fruit!


Anyone remember the band "Presidents of the United States" and their song about peaches? "Millions of peaches, peaches for me, millions of peaches, peaches for free...?" It's not a great song, but these pictures reminded me of the lyrics.

No comments: