Baby, it's cold outside. We've had highs in the 20s and 30s this week. Even some unexpected freezing drizzle which made Monday's drive to my Weight Watchers class harrowing! I actually had people show up, stay for the meeting, and even join. I told them I wasn't sure if I was proud of them for attending or if I thought they were crazy for being out and about on the slick streets. Thankfully the drive home was much less worrisome.
Last week Carissa and I decided to deviate from our normal walk at the mall and go to the Zoo. The high was supposed to be in the 50s and we knew this cold weather was on its way. When we arrived at 10am it was just above freezing (33 degrees). Man...that's not what we expected when making our plans. So, we ran to the Herpeterium (reptile house) to get warm and let the kids out of their strollers. We were the only people in the building except some staff members(one of whom happens to be friends with my brother and a fellow Tabor alum!). The kids loved pushing the buttons on the displays and Charles in particular loved running. We actually saw the giant tortoises eating their breakfast, you could see and hear them munching on their lettuce. After we were done there we headed to the Jungle. We walked through the building and actually saw active animals. The bats were opening their wings and there was a bird trying to escape the building when we arrived. One bird even pooped on my shoe. Thankfully it was just my shoe and not a good one at that.
Russell got Monday off in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday. It was one minor benefit of the most recent union negotiation. They gave it to the guys on the line so the non-union folks got it too. Wish we could have the same choices they have for health insurance....
Anyway, we had a nice long weekend. Saturday after morning basketball at church and naps we got some lunch and ran a zillion errands. Who knew the mall would be packed? We found some unexpected bargains which is always fun for the shopper in me. I got Charles a pair of athletic pants for $1.97--a bargain, but little did I know they would be a dog hair magnet! I also got him a Carter's outfit for less than $5.00. It's 24 months and actually a bit big. He wore it Monday and I was kind of disappointed that the pants sort of look like MC Hammer pants--they're baggy through the leg with elastic at the bottom. Oh well, they're cute. Russell got two shirts at Dillard's. We were fortunate to find Nautica shirts on sale, they 50% off the red tag which already 75% off the original price. One was regularly priced $108--for a long sleeve button up. Not a fancy one. I found out later they're not going to be carrying that brand anymore. I'm sure they don't sell many of those shirts at $108 each.
Our last errand was to Babies R Us. It was crazy busy too. I was hoping to park in one of the close Expectant Mother spaces but they were full. We aren't good about putting Charles in his coat so we just grab him and dash inside. It just doesn't work to have him bundled up in his car seat. I was feeling guilty about it until I read an article about car seat safety and they said NOT to put them in with their coats on. Anyway...we got an oven lock. Did I mention Charles opens the oven and one day I found him standing on the door banging on the burner? Of course when we got home and tried to install it we discovered it wouldn't work with our oven. Bummer.
Monday we relaxed. Charles had a "Count Your Kid In" evaluation at the local primary school. I think he's somewhat behind in speech (but all I've got to compare him to are 2 year old girls) so I signed him up for the free screening. He's right on target and they said he doesn't need to be evaluated again until age 3. They saw he incorporates speech into his play and unless he doesn't progress in the next 6 months, there's nothing to worry about. After working at Heartspring and reading all the articles that have been out recently about Autism, I tend to be over cautious. I didn't figure anything was wrong but it was nice to hear that from the professionals--and actually get the benefit of my tax dollars! It was sad to hear them talk to the little boy behind us. Charles dwarfed him in size, but the other boy was 2 months older. They told the parent they wanted to see him again in 6 months and discussed how Rainbows United would be the institution to provide services at his age. Thank you Lord for healthy and bright children!
Monday afternoon we noticed our house was cold. Colder than the thermostat's setting. We turned it up and the heater didn't kick on. No heat?!?! And it was only in the 20s. YIKES! I called the company who came to replace the thermal couple (I think) earlier in the season. They actually were able to get someone here about 30 minutes after I called. He had to run and get a part but the heater was fixed by about 5:30. Of course that was after I left for Weight Watcher's and made a last minute plea to Grandpa & Grandma to babysit. They were happy to provide a warm place for Charles and we weren't sure how long it would be before the workman would return. The roads had gotten very slick, he couldn't even get up our driveway.
The rest of this week we've been living in the sick ward. Charles had diarrhea Tuesday and spent a good part of the day sitting on my lap in front of the TV. Wednesday I woke up with a stomach ache and threw up. I asked Russ to come straight home from class and forgo the gym for another week. Good thing I did because he came home and began to feel sick. By 8:30 he was vomiting and at 11 I called the doctor because he was in the bathroom every 15 minutes. I went to the Walgreen's soon after that to pick up a prescription and get some Imodium AD, Sprite, and Gatorade. He barely slept and I was up quite a bit too even though I slept in the guest room. I felt so bad for him but there was nothing I could do. Finally this afternoon he has kept a little bit of water down as well as some Tylenol. He even napped on the couch for a few hours. This morning Charles' diarrhea returned but thankfully the diaper rash hasn't been as bad as earlier in the week. We hope and pray neither Charles nor I get what Russ has. We had flu shots so I'm hoping that gives us some protection.
Charles is awake and wants to help type. The dogs are also pestering me for dinner, so I guess that's all for now.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment