Sunday, November 18, 2007

Trials & Tribulations

Charles has had the most horrible diaper rash this week. It was actually bleeding one morning. To make matters worse he's had diarrhea too. I called the doctor Friday night because it had gotten so bad. Charles wouldn't sit, even in the bathtub. He was walking funny too and was just miserable all around. It's gotten steadily better, but there are still some really raw spots.


Yesterday Russell took his exit exam. All he can say is, "Gee I hope I passed." We don't have the details about how or when it will be graded. Tomorrow he has a test in one of his classes. He is NOT in the mood to spend the afternoon studying.


While Russell was taking his exam Charles and I went to get new tires on our Honda. I didn't expect it to take 2 hours! We took the stroller out of the trunk and walked to McDonald's. We shared an Egg McMuffin and Charles ran around in the play area. He's too little to actually play on the equipment but he enjoyed running. We walked to Sam's and had samples and looked at toys. On our way out Charles did a dive out of the cart. He leaned over the side and flipped over, landing on the cement floor. We were right by the registers and close to the exit. The entire area got quiet. I know they were watching my reaction and seeing if Charles was okay.


I scooped him up and comforted him. A nice lady came over and said she saw the whole thing and she didn't think he hit his head. She says it all happens so fast, you can't avoid it. Which was SO true. I told her he was having a bad day and he was even more shaken than usual. I had ibuprofen and (generic) Tylenol in my bag to help with the diaper rash pain, so quickly got some in him to help combat the headache and soreness to come. We made it back to pick up the car just as Russell called to say he was done.


To celebrate we met Grandpa and Grandma for pizza. Charles fell asleep in the car, but once he got some food in his tummy he was as close to his normal self as possible given his issues. He took a nice long nap and hasn't had any more diarrhea since yesterday morning. Thank goodness!!!


Charles is on his way to being in the "Terrible Twos." Today at lunch nothing made him happy so he threw a fit. We probably shouldn't have caved in to his demands, but a little sip of (Diet) Dr. Pepper to calm an over-tired, diaper rash suffering toddler didn't seem like too big of a compromise. Once he got a drink and sat on my lap he was better. Sundays start early and are extremely busy so by lunch time he's more than ready for a nap. I refilled my drink (we were at Subway) with lemonade and a few squirts of Sprite. He made an awful face with every sip, but kept asking for more. I got him a sippy cup with a straw and I need to remember to keep it in the diaper bag. It gives him the feeling that he's drinking like we are without the possibility of spillage!


We are getting ready for our upcoming weekend. We need to get to the store and buy the ingredients for the turkey's marinade. We're doing two turkeys one 23 lbs the other 19 lbs. I think we'll fry the bigger one so I've got to make sure my Emeril's Essence is ready to go! I'm also in charge of bringing the Crust less Pumpkin Pie, Sherbet Jell-O, and Watergate Salad. I've figured out the points for all of these, so at least I know how much of those I can consume. Except the pumpkin--YUCK!!! That's for Mom, Christy, and anyone else who's counting calories or willing to try something new.


I need to go fold some laundry and iron. Hopefully Russell will get some studying done so we can go to the park for a few minutes this afternoon. I really think this will be one of our last nice days this fall. They are predicting lows in the 20s with highs in the 40s for the upcoming week. Maybe even snow on the ground or flurries in the air on Wednesday night and Thursday.

No comments: