Sunday, June 17, 2007

Mobility

Monday Charles was glad to be home. He ended up in the dining room while Russell and I measured a wall--all of a sudden we turned around and he was under the table and standing at a chair. Little did we know that was foreshadowing what was to come later in the day!


Charles was exhausted from the trip. So exhausted in fact, that he fell asleep sitting in his crib. I can't believe he didn't wake up after the photo, or that he slept so long in that position. Later in the week I found him sleeping in the same position.





Monday Russell saw Charles crawl about 3 steps while I was grocery shopping. Later that evening Grandma and Aunt Christy saw him take about the same number of "steps."


Charles goes to Grandma's house on Monday nights while Russell is in class and while I'm giving my Weight Watchers lecture. This week was an eventful evening. Stephanie, Paul, Brooeklyn, PJ, Mason, Carissa, Elena, and Aunt Christy were all at Grandma's house for dinner. Rumor has it that Charles was the life of the party. He laughed and enjoyed watching the craziness and all the activity--there's lots of activity with Brookeyn--age 10; Paul IV (PJ)--age 5; and Elena--age 21 months.

Since Memorial Day Charles has been "almost" crawling. Tuesday there was no almost, no few steps like on Monday--it was full blown moving around the house.

And, to add fuel to the fire, he pulls up and stands next to anything he can find. Basically, crawling is just a means to get to a place where he can stand.

He's already crusin' around the furniture. From the fireplace to the ash bucket to the end table to the couch (with Russell's knees for help) and to the coffee table. I left the room only to return to find my drink spilled all over the coffee table. Lillie, of course, was there to help clean up the mess even before I discovered what happened.

This weekend Charles found his way to the dishwasher and decided to pull out some dirty dishes. I was able to distract him with a trip to look out the back door. I doubt it will work a second time.

Saturday evening we stopped at Grandpa and Grandma's to give Russell a hair cut (it is so much easier to do it on a floor without carpet!). As we were sitting in the family room and kitchen we noticed Charles heading for the steps. Grandpa and Grandma's family room is sunken with two steps the width of the room. He got to the first one and tried to use it to push himself to a standing position. It was too low and didn't work. So...he put his hands on the top step. A few seconds later the knee went on the step, followed by the other knee. Before we knew it he was up both steps. It wasn't a fluke, he did it twice and again this evening when we were there celebrating Father's Day.

My life is now much more complicated. Like this afternoon when he pulled the dogs' water bowl on to the carpet, splashed around in it, then preceded to dump it on himself and all over the floor. I've got my work cut out for me. We've got to get the house baby proofed ASAP. And, we must invest in at least one more gate, if not two.





No comments: